Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Fairy Tale Visit to the DMV

The Idaho DMV in Boise is, hands down, the most efficient government office I have ever visited:

  • Upon entering, you are given a number based on your arrival order and what you need. 

  • Approximately 15 to 25 employees are working the counters at any given time, providing efficient assistance with drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, ID cards, and similar issues.

  • I have never waited more than 15 minutes to talk to someone, and am given all the required information in a friendly, helpful manner.

  • Even the costs seem more than reasonable -- only $30 for a 4-year license, plus just $3 to take the computerized driving knowledge test!

The whole process took about 40 minutes. And now, for the first time in my life, I have an Idaho drivers license. (Well, I have a temporary paper one for now, but I should get the real deal in about 10 days. Efficiency wins again!)


Oh, and they don't let you smile! So I made a crazy-face instead.


22/29.
21 to go.

4 comments:

  1. Who's smiling when you get pulled over anyhow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pfft, "going to the DMV for a driver's license" isn't a first, even if it's the first time "at this particular DMV!" I think you owe your adoring fans a re-do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will, it wasn't the DMV that was a first. It was getting an Idaho drivers license!!! Finally!!! I've now lived here for, well, let's just say a *little* longer than the amount of time I'm supposed to have to get my DL. So it's a pretty momentous occasion. Oh, also, my WA license expires on my birthday. (;

      Delete
    2. Mmhmm, I got that, I still don't think it counts :-p. Shaky premise! Now that you have your driver's license are you going to register to vote and say "first time I've registered to vote in Idaho!" Or "first time I've bought alcohol with an Idaho ID card!" Not firsty enough :-p. Also I think that might be how driver's license expirations work... also, did you notice you're a BRO DONOR?. Hi five "bro!"

      Delete